THURSDAY 26 FEBRUARY 2015
Who actually repurposes watermelon into looking like Watermelon in the form of an ice cream pop ............ i do but all in the name of fun and complete with edible seeds of course.. Summer is only a few months away and this is a great one to bookmark for then with watermelon being so refreshing and all. I have mine frozen up as an after dinner bribe treat for my little girl it's not too bad a recipe really its just pureed fruit but you can always make it healthier by reducing the sugar or taking it out completely. I tried a few different batches for variety I used strawberreis and watermelon and for the green rind I tried both mint ice cream and green fruit juice.. Cheap chic and super easy.
- 5 cups seedless watermelon pulp
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1 pint lime sherbet, softened
- mini paper cups
- paddle pop sticks
- Puree watermelon and sugar in batches in your blender or food processor until smooth and strain into a medium bowl. Cover and freeze until puree is slightly slushy, but not quite solid, about 2 to 3 hours. Remove from freezer, stir well and add in chocolate chips.
- Place twelve 5-ounce disposable cups in a shallow baking pan and spoon watermelon puree into cups, leaving about a 1/2 inch left from the rim. Place pan in freezer for 2 hours, or until puree is solid, but not rock hard.
- Allow lime sherbet to soften a bit, then spread over top of each portion of watermelon puree so that it comes up to the edge of the cup. Smooth sherbet with the back of a spoon and cover each cup with plastic wrap. Cut a small slit in the center of each cup and insert a popsicle stick into each pop so that it almost reaches the bottom of the cups. Freeze overnight (or until solid) and can be frozen for up to two days.
- Allow pops to sit at room temperature for about a minute, then gently pull out from the cups. Serve and enjoy!