THURSDAY 23 JANUARY 2014
So with this month celebrating Australia Day and all I thougt to make Vegemite Ice Cream ...can you imagine??? Well it seems you not the only one saying YUKK!! I tried googling a possible recipe and was faced with that same response!! So I killed that idea.
So moving onto the next flavour on my list and quite a surprising one too......Rosemary and Olive Oil.
This is my favourite flavour so far which was surprising for me. Rosemary is my absolute favourite herb, it is sublte in this ice cream (you can still taste it) however you can really taste the fruity oilve oil .....and the texture too its a litte slippery or should I say smooth, just like the real thing. This one is a definate must try. Do I say this everytime??
This recipe here uses raw eggs and because I'm not sure where these eggs came from I tweeked the recipe a little just by cooking them at the end. By the way there is nothing wrong with using raw eggs as long as you know where they've come from. Another note make sure to buy the best olive oil you can afford although I've only made this recipe once I believe in the advice given by fellow experts, it's like cooking with wine ..... it's only going to enhance the flavour if it's quality stuff. If your really into Olive oil why not drizzle some on your ice cream .... I must admit I wasn't that brave.
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary (about 6 inches long)
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 egg yolks
- 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- In a medium saucepan add the milk and rosemary sprig.
- Heat very slowly to a gently simmer.
- When it reaches a simmer, cover and remove from heat.
- Let it steep for 1 hour. Then, strain and put it in the refrigerator to chill for a few hours or overnight.
- Beat the sugar and egg yolks in a large bowl until pale yellow, about 5 minutes.
- Slowly stream in the olive oil and continue beating until smooth and airy, approx. 3 minutes.
- Add the infused milk, vanilla, salt and CREAM (when cooknig eggs do not add the cream at this step)
- Beat until combined.
- Pour into an ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer's instructions.
If you want to be on the safe side stop at step 8 .... Heat the mixture to 175 degress or until it coats the back of the spoon then place the mixture into an ice bath for cooling add the cream mix and place into an ice cream maker for churning